Monday, March 28, 2016

Relieve Stress and Anxiety

I suffered from anxiety and depression for many years, until several years ago when I had a health wake up call. During one particularly intense episode I thought I was having a heart attack. I called my husband home from work and we called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. Long story short, I was not experiencing a heart attack and there was nothing wrong with my heart; I was suffering from a panic attack. Through research I learned that, while panic attacks are temporary, the effects of stress and anxiety can be detrimental to your health in the long term. The results include inflammation, which can cause weight gain and cardiovascular disease, increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, and poor mental health.

I has been on antidepressant and antianxiety drugs in the past and knew I did not want to go that route again. The side-effects from these medications were horrible and included excessive sweating and sexual side-effects. SO I chose to research natural and alternative remedies for anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. What I discovered is that, quite often, we do not have to medicate for improved mental health. I found that regular physical activity and mindfulness can have a profound effect on overall health and well-being.
Now, I am not one for going to a gym or even going outside, (I really dislike bugs and exercising in front of people!) so I wanted an exercise program that I could easily do in my house without a bunch of expensive exercise equipment (due to lack of space and funds). This is when I discovered Yoga! Yoga was perfect because (thanks to Youtube) it can be practiced in the home and requires very few resources (a blanket, and some books or pillows will do the job).

I tried many different videos before I found an AMAZING instructor! Adriene from Yoga With Adriene or her Youtube channel offers videos from beginner to advanced, as well as foundations of Yoga poses so you can do them correctly. Anyway, my point is: A good instructor can make all the difference, find one that suits your personal taste. Since starting my Yoga practice I have not suffered from panic attacks, my mental and overall health has improved, and I have even lost some weight.

Weight loss and improved mental and physical health can reduce the risk of obesity and chronic disease, both of which increase the risk of premature death. Any type or amount of physical activity can help to reduce these odds, however, it is recommended that most adults strive for at least 150 minutes of moderate to intense physical activity per week.
So, get up, get moving and get healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment